There are many opportunities for youth ages 5-25 to get involved with Habitat!
Young people ages 5 to 25 are welcome to participate in our youth programs. Although youth must be 16 or older to volunteer on the construction site, there are many opportunities for you to get involved with Habitat. Your excitement and creativity is exactly what Habitat for Humanity needs to involve more people, build more houses, raise more money and welcome more families into our community!
We seek to provide everyone with a volunteer experience that is both meaningful and fun! Please read below for some ideas of how you can help us fulfill our mission of increasing the amount of simple, decent and affordable housing available for low-income families in Northern Virginia.
For more information, please contact Jessica Sweeney at firstname.lastname@example.org
Support Habitat Homeowners and Volunteers
- Build and or/paint birdhouses, picture frames or flower pots for a new homeowner
- Design thank you cards for our hardworking volunteers
- Put together a welcome basket for a Habitat family
- Deliver lunch to volunteers on a build site
Raise Money for Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia
- Organize a bake sale
- Paint birdhouses and auction them off
- Nickel for Nails Campaign: design change collection jars and collect money for building supplies
- Books Build Homes: pledge to read a set number of books or pages during a time frame and ask friends, families and neighbors to sponsor you
- Hold a car wash
- Create your own fundraiser (just let a Habitat NoVa staff member know first!)
Spread the Word
- Design a bulletin board in your school or church with facts about homelessness, poverty and Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia
- Speak to your classmates, friends, family and neighbors about the mission of Habitat for Humanity
- Create posters for Habitat for Humanity to use at events and fairs
- Friend us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Fun and Games
Visit www.habitat.org/youthprograms to find games and activities for all ages, including Habitat Helpers, Neighborhood Roundup and crossword puzzles.
Start a Habitat Club in Your School
We ask that each Habitat club organize one fundraiser per year and commit to volunteering in one of our ReStores at least 2 days per year. A Habitat NOVA staff member works with the club to develop fundraising ideas and provides additional support.
- If you are 16 years or older, volunteer on one of our build sites! Construction volunteers must be at least 16 years old. Volunteers on the construction site help to do many different parts of the construction process including framing, drywall, caulking, puttying, painting, installing vinyl tile and trim work, repairing fences, and helping to build handicap ramps.
- Volunteer at one of our ReStores! The ReStore takes donations of new, used and surplus building supplies, appliances and other home improvement items for resale at 50-90% below retail prices. The proceeds benefit Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia. Volunteers work with ReStore staff collecting and receiving donated materials, pricing and stocking items on the store floor, cleaning and organizing the store and assisting customers in the store. Volunteers for the ReStore must be 12 years old or older. Volunteers ages 12-15 must be accompanied by an adult and have a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. Volunteers ages 16 or 17 must have a waiver signed by a parent or guardian but may volunteer on their own.
Building on Youth Program
Youth 5-18 can earn their Habitat for Humanity wristband by being involved in many aspects of the Habitat program. Building on Youth is a four part program that involves learning about Habitat, helping Habitat by doing at least two activities, reflecting on the activity through art and celebrating their accomplishment by sharing their art with the Northern Virginia community. We will present each youth participant who completes the program with a wristband.
Participate in Act! Speak! Build! Week
Act! Speak! Build! Week is a week for young people to educate themselves and their communities about the needs of affordable housing to move people into social action. Young people, ages 5 to 25, work in partnership with local Habitat affiliates to plan and host events focused on ending poverty housing. Events are youth-led and youth initiated!
Volunteer Ideas by Age
For additional information please contact Jessica Sweeney at email@example.com or 703-521-9890 x107 or fill out this contact form and someone will be in touch soon!